Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Getting Ready for School


Getting ready for school again . . . there has been quite a flurry of activity lately with the kids and their social calendars:  weddings, work, friends visiting . . .  all good stuff. This week at the University is our week of meetings. Next week, more meetings and then classes begin on Wednesday. I wish I had spent more time reading this summer. 
 On another note, it is time to break out my well-worn copy of Anne of Avonlea.  I like to read this book before the school year begins. Like Anne, I am a little anxious about a new teaching assignment. All my years of teaching hasn't done much to help me with back-to-school butterflies. 





She had sat up until nearly twelve the preceding night composing a speech she meant to make to her pupils upon opening the school.  She had revised and improved it painstakingly, and then she had learned it off by heart.  It was a very good speech and had some very fine ideas in it, especially about mutual help and earnest striving after knowledge. The only trouble was that she could not now remember a word of it . . . .

2 comments:

Prairie Patchwork Quilts said...

Best of luck to you with the new school year.

Cross Stitching Mom said...

Thank you. Classes begin tomorrow (after an eternity of meetings the last week or so!)