Tuesday, September 1, 2015

A Happy Mistake and Sweet Memories

 
Yesterday morning, I fired up the family crock pot (much larger than this lovely avocado green model pictured above). I had in my possession a WONDERFUL chuck roast (Mama always told me that a chuck roast was more tender and flavorful than any other). I was going to brown it and add it to the pot with the other ingredients. Keeping it simple this time, I had mixed a can of Campbell's beefy mushroom soup and a packet of Lipton onion soup mix. Well, I didn't add the Lipton onion soup mix--it was a partial envelope of ranch seasoning from a pasta salad mix!  I felt awful. I didn't have another can of the beefy mushroom soup, and I didn't have time to replace it before school. I had to just "go with it." What kept me from panicking was the thought that I had looked at a "Dill marinated roast" recipe for the "slow cooker." I just didn't have any dill. Dill is the key ingredient for Ranch-flavored things. The only problem was "how would the ranch flavoring taste with the beefy mushroom soup." I have to tell you--Michael kept saying that it was the best roast I had made. Considering how many we have had over the years, I was pleased as punch!  Virginia made some wild rice, and I fixed a pot of cooked carrots with a brown sugar glaze. We also had a can of the boys' favorite biscuits, "Grands jr., flaky layer" to add to the fare.It was a feast! I have enough left over to fix Michael a hot lunch today.
I know I didn't discover a new approach to slow-cookery. I went on Pinterest this morning and saw all kinds of Ranch crockpot recipes. I may submit mine though, since it is a little bit different with the beefy mushroom soup.
The crockpot pictured above is just like the one I bought my mom when I was in 11th grade.  I think I purchased it from TG & Y, and I am sure it was less than $15.00. She used that thing all the time. Her specialty was slow-cooker pinto beans. Mama knew her way around the spice rack, and she added just the right amount of thyme, garlic salt and oregano. I couldn't begin to recreate her recipe. 
Michael had a long day yesterday, but I could seem him really unwind at the table. He loved the supper and he loved sitting listening to everyone talk about their day.
Don't underestimate the power of a good meal served with the family. Your recipes don't have to be the least bit fancy--just serve them with love!

2 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, your meal sounds delicious-I love my crock pot too-it is amazing all the things you can make in there. Have a lovely day
Kathy

Homeschool Mom said...

Thank you, Kathy. I didn't see this reply. Yes, our crock pot is one our best friends!